Volunteers Register Here!
What is Strolling Thunder?
In association with Book Blast, Strolling Thunder is a FREE event your infants and toddlers can attend with you that will open up community-wide discussions on how to meet the needs of babies. Bring your strollers and your kids!
Our brains grow faster between the ages of 0 and 5 than at any later point in our lives. When babies don’t get what their growing brains need during this crucial time, it can lead to life-long developmental, educational, social, and health challenges.
What to expect?
We’re pushing our strollers from Burr Park to the Whitfield County Courthouse and back to put babies in the spotlight. Mayor Dennis Mock will share a proclamation declaring June 1st as “Children’s Day” in Dalton. Meet elected officials and people from around the state who are spearheading efforts to help babies thrive. Expect snacks, drinks, and giveaways.
Saturday, June 1, 2019 at 1 pm
Burr Park, 101 S Hamilton Street, Dalton, Georgia
How can I get more information?
Contact Suzanne Harbin at (706) 275-9117 or Suzanne.Harbin@CommunityFoundationNWGA.org
WHAT VOLUNTEER OPPORTUNITIES ARE AVAILABLE?
The following volunteer jobs are available:
1. Strolling Thunder Set Up Volunteers: We need 5-6 volunteers to help set up the parade route - cones, signs, etc. Volunteers need to arrive at Burr Park at 12:30 pm.
2. Check- in Strolling Thunder Volunteers: We need 3-4 people to help people check-in for Strolling Thunder, hand out bags, answer questions. Volunteers will need to arrive at 12:30 pm and stay until 2:30 pm.
3. Strolling Thunder Cheerleaders: We need as many people as possible to line the roadside along the route. Volunteers need to be in place (along the route) by 1 pm. Cheerleaders are asked to wave flags, clap, and cheer as strollers pass by.
4. Check-in Book Blast Volunteers: We need 3-4 people to help people check-in for Book Blast, hand out bags, answer questions. Volunteers will need to arrive at 2 pm and stay until 4:30 pm.
5. Free Books Station Volunteers: We need 4-6 volunteers to pass out free books. Volunteers will need to arrive at 2 pm and stay until 4:30 pm.
6. Snacks Station Volunteers: We need 2-4 volunteers to help pass out snacks. Volunteers need to arrive at 2 pm and work until 4:30 pm.
7. Reading Circles Volunteers: We need a few people to help First Presbyterian Church volunteers read to children from 2 pm - 4:30 pm.
8. Clean-up Crew Volunteers: We need 4-5 volunteers to help clean up after the event. Volunteers need to be at Burr Park by 4 pm.